DIY: This is the end

That’s it. We’re here. After such a long time of working on this project, we’ve finally reached the end of the school year. It’s time to take a good look back at all we’ve done in creating our DIY documentary.

i-heart-diy

We could not finish the actual documentary, which was ultimately the final product we were aiming for. There just was not enough time to edit all the footage that we got. I think part of the problem was the fact that we had five people in the group, and we insisted on doing everything together, so we couldn’t really find much time for that.

In addition, we did not do much publicizing for our project, even though we had initially attempted to do so. We started an Instagram account, and although I personally tried to post on it when I could, only six total photos were posted. We didn’t follow anyone on our account, and we did not have  followers. Our slack on the Instagram was probably due to the fact that none of us really used this type of social media, so we didn’t know what to do with it.

photo (3)

However, despite the fact that parts of our project did not turn out as intended, I would say that the project was not a complete failure, because we did get stuff done. We spent many hours filming, and probably approached about 100 different people for interviews. Although we did not finish editing the documentary, we did manage to make a shorter trailer for it, just to have  a product to show. The trailer isn’t perfect, but my group members seem to be very content with it, because it does show that we’ve done work all year.

Furthermore, this entire project in itself was a huge learning experience. I’ve learned more about filming and editing, which will help me a lot in my video production class. I’ve also developed my interview techniques, and became more comfortable approaching strangers for interviews, skills that are valuable to me because I will be editor-in-chief of my school paper next year. I have also learned a lot about working with other people, as well as time management from this group project. I discovered that time is something that can be easily lost if you do not work efficiently, by dividing the jobs and sharing responsibilities.

At the end of it all, I am very glad I tried to do this, to make this documentary. In all honesty, since the beginning, I have had doubts about whether or not we’d be able to get it finished. Even though my doubts have more or less been confirmed, though, I do not regret taking on this project. I’ve worked with and met some great people throughout this process, and it was worth all the stress and the time spent.

20131202-220554.jpg

– Karen

Advertisements

DIY: We’ve come a long way

With the deadline for this DIY project creeping up on us, my group and I are trying to pull together what we have. Recently, we’ve mostly been just editing because there is no time to get any more footage. For the past couple Fridays, we’ve been spending time working on editing on Adobe Premiere Pro.

prcs51

My teacher is planning on having an event in which students get the opportunity to talk about their projects. My partners and I want to be able to participate and give a presentation about our project, and the process of working on it. However, we do not think that we will have enough time to finish the entire documentary that was supposed to be our project in time for this event. Therefore, we have decided to create a little trailer for our documentary, to use in our presentation.

The trailer so far is about two minutes, and it is basically shows what our documentary will be. A while ago, Brandon and I went to Jessie’s house in an attempt to record some of Brandon’s piano-playing for the background music of our trailer. However, that did not work out because there were other sounds in the recording besides the piano, so we decided not to use that music. Despite the fact that we cannot use our own music for the trailer, though, my group members are still quite happy with the way the trailer is coming along.

Keyboard Keys Close Up

In all honesty, both the trailer and the documentary itself is not turning out the way I had planned it. There are so many things in them that I was specifically taught to avoid in BBN, my video production class. There is annoying background music and noises in the interviews. Some of the camera work is out of focus and shaky. We do not have any B-roll. However, the rest of the people my project group are quite content with what we have and continuously tell me that our project will turn out fine. I am grateful for their optimistic attitudes, because I am learning to look past these flaws and see that we really have come a long way. Even if our project does not turn out perfectly perfect, it will be amazing, simply because we have worked so hard on it.

– Karen